Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Participant thoughts

Written by Sierra: 
I knew I wanted to participate in the alternative breaks as soon as I heard about them, and I couldn't be happier I followed up with that. I'm sure most groups are going to say that their group was the best, but I genuinely believe i hit the jackpot with all of those who went to Birmingham. You guys not only became friends I needed, but you helped to challenge my previous thought process about numerous things and really brought different perspectives to the table. 

The trip we took was beneficial in that we got chances to help others, but it was also beneficial because it helped me. I'm leaving Birmingham with a reaffirmed love of helping others, but also a sort of humbleness about my actions. We discussed poverty tourism throughout our break and after our service trips and it was a gentle but needed reminder not to take this back home to Knoxville as simply pictures and memories. Our break should be remembered and enhanced my going back and serving our community where we can hopefully see our direct impacts. 

I'm beyond inspired by the actions of my fellow group members. Their compassion and friendship this weekend has made it that much more worthwhile. You guys have not only inspired me to apply for spring breaks trips the minute applications open, but to also become a hopeful team leader because we wouldn't have had the same experience without ours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment